In 1956 £45,000 was allocated to the Coventry Diocese to build a new church. Basil Spence (who had already begun work on the new Coventry Cathedral) working with Wimpey's came up with a way of contructing three new churches for the same price.
St Oswald's (along with St John the Divine, Willenhall and St Chad's, Wood End) was completed in 1957 and dedicated on 6th June by Rt Rev Cuthbert Bardsley, Bishop of Coventry, in the presence of HRH Princess Margaret.
On the outside of the church is a sculpture of the Risen Christ by prominent American sculptor Carroll Harris Simms. Behind the altar is an applique wall hanging by Gerald Holtom depicting St Oswald and St Aidan. A reredos by Sir Ninian Comper is displayed at the west end of the church, originally from All Saints Church in Warwick, it was rescued from decades in storage by former St Oswald's vicar Brian Doolan.
The church remained relatively unchanged until 2000 when we embarked on an extensive project of building and refurbishment. The wood and glass front of the hall was replaced by a more secure wall, the entrance lobby was extended and a new vestry and sacristy were added to the north side of the building.
In 2001 the wall hanging was taken down for cleaning and the interior of the church was painted, giving us a new bright, friendly and welcoming church.
It unfortunate that the free-standing concrete bell tower (a feature of all three churches) is now in a sad state of disrepair. The cost of makingthe tower safe has been quoted at over £40,000 which is beyond the resources of the PCC, it may be necessary to consider demolishing the tower.
To see some pictures from in and around St Oswald's Click on the 'Gallery' buttons below.